Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Fine Arts Technology Gallery Opening Extra Credit

New Media Wing
Monday, April 21 5-8 pm

This was a really interesting and exciting extra credit assignment, the gallery opening featured University of Utah's students capstone projects. One of the projects was a game called Curupira, the whole basis of it was to send a message about saving the rain forests. The game was played like a typical side scrolling platformer with you playing a character given a bow and arrows to defend your rain forests with.

I really liked this game, it looked really good with bright colors and fluid animations it also played well, I told Travis that if it was a Nintendo DS game I would have bought it. The game was entertaining but it also very clearly gave its message about the rain forests including some information about rain forests at the end. I was also really impressed when he said the game had been made in about a month, it really did look like it would've taken longer than that(although I suppose if they worked long hours every day for a month it would make sense).

Another students project was based on the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator Test that works kind of like a personality test. Her project consisted of pictures that had different options for the user to click(it was done on a computer) and based on the pictures they chose it would basically give the user a summary of their personality traits. Travis had taken the Myers-Briggs test a few weeks before this gallery and got the same results on both tests. My results pegged me as The Inspirer which after seeing the traits and reading more online is very accurate for my personality. I was really impressed with her ability to create something like this that requires someone to use their subconscious attraction to images to help understand their personality.

There were also three other projects to see but they didn't captured my attention like these two did. I was so intrigued by the Myers-Briggs Test that I've spent plenty of time online reading more about it.

No comments: